Project Title: Inequality at Work

Professor: Alia Tyner-Mullings, ph.D.

Course: SOCI 113 – Ethnographies of Work II

Modality: Hybrid

Partner Institution: Abdelmalek Essaâdi University

Abstract of Project: This class will participate in the Global Scholars Achieving Career Success COIL program. This program will allow us to connect with a class in Morocco to connect culture with work as we explore workplace culture and inequality. Groups will be created across classrooms including at least two students from each class. As part of your assignment for this module, each student in the group will visit and observe a workplace in the same industry (Sales, food services, social services, education, construction, transportation). Each student will be expected to analyze their notes and examine how your culture was present in the workplace and how inequality was present in the workplace. Each student will then look at the data and write-up from one of their partners at the other school and write up how their partners’ workplace compares to theirs. The students will collaborate on describing some ways they think inequality could be addressed. This information will be shared in a formal presentation where each student will present or post a video of your work.

Crafting the Project with Professor Partner: We worked well together and found time both during and after GSACS meetings to work through our project. My partner was very open to ideas and often brought his own into the conversation.

Student Engagement During the Partnership: The students role in the process was to conduct observation research on a workplace in their country and then to find the commonalities and differences within and across the two cultures.

Student Communication During the Project: The students communicated on Slack.

Biggest Obstacles Faced: We had several challenges. The biggest one was that my schedule changed over the course of the project and his schedule was unconfirmed for a short period of time. We also had trouble because the numbers of students and the calendar across our two courses didn’t match. This meant that, for my students, their final presentation was earlier in the semester than I would normally have it. Using Slack was also an additional platform for my students and it was difficult to get them to use it in addition to everything else they had to learn.

Evaluating Success: In the end, there were only a few groups who made it to the end of the project. I thought they started strong: the ice breaker question had a great response in Slack. There was less and less engagement from students as we went through the semester. students in my class who did the work for the assignment was small and only a few of those posted the information and shared it with their international partners.

Class Syllabus:

Enthographies-of-Work-II-Syllabus-Spring-2022-H3-C2

Key GSACS Assignment:

COIL Assignment:

GSACS-COIL-assignments

Final Paper:

Final-Paper-rubric-and-outline